Our Memorable Moments

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Losing a bet isn't always so bad...

Monday we set a goal in our office to each sign up 5 more people for an event that we are hosting this weekend by the end of our shift that day. If anyone did not meet their goal (meaning as a group we all got our 5- totaling 55 more people) we would have to do something "nasty", even if we personally got our five, but came up short of the group number. The catch was that we didn't know what our punishment would be until after our shift. It would be determined by one of the training doctors in the office- who was also participating in the game.

Well... we came up short, so at 6:00am the next morning we had to meet on the beach and swim a 1/2 mile in the gulf. SO COLD!! I know it's Florida and all, but oh my goodness, that water is so cold in February!! It was still a little dark when we got there, and seeing how feeding time for sharks is right before sunrise, we waited until 6:30 to jump in. We all swam out to the buoy and back, and as cold as it was, I had a blast doing it. I always thought the idea of swimming in the ocean, especially in the early morning was crazy, but it was actually a really awesome experience. And as nervous as I was about being eaten by a shark, once we were all in, I actually didn't want to get out, and not because I knew it would be even colder once I got out of the freezing water either. In fact we all grouped together up to our shoulders after the swim and had a great team huddle. It's an experience I will never forget. Like so many others I have had, it is one that I never would have been exposed to if we were not here. I'm so grateful that Dr. Shane thought of it as a "punishment". And don't get me wrong, as far as the cold water goes- it was, but it was worth every second on that beach, listening to the waves, watching the dark sky turn light blue. It was an awesome reminder of our worlds amazing beauty. And I'm so grateful that I was given the opportunity to take it in, to realize it, share it, and give appreciation for it.

Being here has truly been a blessing for us in all aspects; individually, physically, spiritually, mentally, and has really strengthened our relationship. I thought we were rock solid before we came here. I mean, 5 years of marriage... what can we possibly not know about each other? Wow. As far as I'm concerned, we were practically strangers. OK, so maybe that's an exaggeration, but I can't put into words how much we have grown as husband and wife too. Not a day goes by that I am not thanking my Heavenly Father for this blessing. I am so excited for each and everyday, and I wish we could share these incredible experiences and moments with every one of you.

We hope that all is well.
Brent and Katie

3 comments:

Kara and Colin said...

Oh wow. That's crazy! I'd be so scared of the darn sharks I would have NEVER done it! I love swimming though!

Sara said...

Sounds like you guys are having a BLAST! We miss you, but are so glad to see you guys having fun! Jimmy and I bring you guys up a lot. We miss the good old days. We want more updates! Keep us posted!

Goodmans said...

That sounds like so much fun. I would love to do that. Sounds like you two are enjoying yourselves. Thats what life and love is all about :)